I pulled a quilt top out of my UFO pile that has been there for years. Years and years.
I made it in one weekend, at a retreat. I think it may be the first quilt top I ever finished; it is certainly one of the first. You can tell because my fabric choice was questionable, many points didn’t match, the quilt itself is not square, the seams are uneven… there’s so much wrong with it, that I decided it could be my sacrificial freehand practice quilt. The top is so busy, the quilting would hardly even show up! But it’s flannel, so no matter how it turned out, it would still make a snuggly winter quilt for the couch or a bed. (It actually reminds me of the inside of the sleeping bags we had when I was a kid.)
I had black flannel for the back, also purchased years ago. So while the quilting doesn’t show on the front, it’s visible on the back. I used a variegated thread, top and bottom (meaning, I had to figure out how to use my long arm bobbin winder, too).
The only part not totally freehand was the outlining of each diamond. I used a ruler to help create straight lines around the perimeter of each shape. Problems encountered: sometimes my hand slipped, and the quilting line wasn’t so straight; sometimes my quilting line was perfectly straight, and thus emphasized the not-so-straight piecing!
Then, the fun part. I explored different freehand designs, varying them for each diamond. Some designs came out really well. Others, I struggled with. There were a few fails. But amazingly, when the whole thing was finished and I took it out of the frame, I realized that the designs all blend together, and it’s hard to see the bad ones.
Hard to get good lighting, but this will at least give you an idea:
It was really fun to do. And I actually like this quilt now — especially the backside of it.
I even wrote my name on it — as well as the names of my family members, and all our pets (one diamond even says “the Fish”).
Now to trim it and make some binding — then it will be another UFO off my list!